1982 911 SC
Caraquet, NB, Canada, E1W 5W9
27 days ago
New listing – 1982 Porsche 911 SC at 167,581 miles
PRICE – 32,250 $US
I bought this extraordinary car in April 2010, about 80 miles North of Chicago (Lake Geneva, WI.), where I went to pick it up. Mileage was then 131,130 miles.
Since day one, on April 22nd, 2010, the car has served me very well. Of the 7 driving seasons I have owned this 911, 3 of them were off years with less than 700 miles per year (2012 to 2015). These off years were due to financial considerations.
Over the 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2016 seasons, I drove a total of 34,422 miles, for an average of 8605 miles per season. In Eastern Canada, my driving season goes from May to end of November. Of note, I have always owned a second car with the Porsche, which means it has not seen much bad weather. However, the car is not a garage queen – it has been driven and it has been enjoyed very much.
I am now ready to let it go, although it is with a heavy heart that I do. I feel that after 10 years of enjoying an older 911, I have had my treat and it is time to be a bit more reasonable at age 55. I should also mention that financial consideration is, again, the number one reason for selling the car.
From 2006 to 2009, I owned and drove with great pleasure a 1984 911 Carrera, a truly remarkable car. I destroyed it in a crash when I fell asleep at the wheel.
The nearest Porsche dealer is 300 miles, so I have been doing my own maintenance work for the past 10 years with a Porsche. Thank you Pelican Parts web site and its contributors, and the great book 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911, by Wayne R. Dempsey. On this car, it means:
- all the oil change a prescribed intervals
- all valve adjustments
- spark plug changes
- new fan belt in fall of 2016
- new Omega (help) spring in 2016
- O2 sensor in 2016
- rotor and cap in 2016
- front brake calipers rebuilt in 2015, with new pads
- window regulator fixed in 2015 (driver’s side)
- new battery in 2015
- new transmission seal in 2013
Of note, I have not been able in the past two years to get the perfect fuel / air mixture. A bit of carbon accumulate on the side of the car. A few drops under car if sitting for a week.
Of note as well, in the fall of 2016, for the first time ever, I was left stranded with the car, after a high-speed run of about 200 miles, when the car would not start after a fuel pit stop. It immediately started on a kick-start, but there seems to be a problem with a relay-heating problem. I repeat – in 7 years of ownership, this was the very first time that the car would not start on demand.
Other items to note:
- Colour is chiffon white, was repainted at some point in the past
- Paint is about a 7.5 out of 10, no rust at all on important items
- Carrera chain tensioners
- Tires are good, will need replacing in 2017 or 2018
- Factory limited slip differential
- Leather dash and surfaces
- All electrical equipment works fine, except windshield washer
- Factory sunroof
- Excellent seals and rubber
- Turbo s steering wheel
- Headliner in excellent condition
- Seats in good condition, were tinted to chiffon white
- 5 speed or course, with 200 MPH factory speedometer
- Factory Fuchs
- Full tool kit, air compressor, and manual
- no AC, I do have the parts
I am about 600 miles East of Boston. I am willing to assist the buyer with shipping arrangements, and this might include delivery to Boston.
CONCLUSION – I am selling the car first for financial reasons. I have driven an older 911 for 10 years now, and it is time to move on. If I were wealthier, there is no question that I would keep the car. I love its driving and handling, the sound of its engine, and of course the looks that I get when I am around town. No such cars in a 1000 miles radius.
I am prepared to discuss the car and try and answer all questions you may have.
Jacques CF Lanteigne
Caraquet, NB, Canada, E1W 5W9